Re: Adding OSDs

Can you share which guide and deployment strategy you're following? I didn't have any issues deploying either completely manually [3] or with cephadm.

Running command: /usr/bin/ceph-authtool --gen-print-key
Running command: /usr/bin/ceph --cluster ceph --name client.bootstrap-osd --keyring /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring -i - osd new ...
stderr: [errno 13] RADOS permission denied (error connecting to the cluster)
-->  RuntimeError: Unable to create a new OSD id

I note the keyring file doesn’t exist - is this something I need to create or should exist already? Or will it be created by this command?

The OSD nodes need a keyring to bootstrap OSDs:

---snip---
admin:~ # ceph auth get client.bootstrap-osd
exported keyring for client.bootstrap-osd
[client.bootstrap-osd]
        key = AQCtsWNdAAAAABAAV6g3yc7rSa0yvsfO1Xlj5w==
        caps mgr = "allow r"
        caps mon = "allow profile bootstrap-osd"

osd1:~ # cat  /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring
[client.bootstrap-osd]
        key = AQCtsWNdAAAAABAAV6g3yc7rSa0yvsfO1Xlj5w==
        caps mgr = "allow r"
        caps mon = "allow profile bootstrap-osd"
---snip---

The manual deployment guide describes the procedure how to create OSDs from scratch. I would recommend to setup a cluster manually to get familiar with all the components that a deployment tool like cephadm will manage for you.

Again, can WAL and DB be pointed at the same SSD?

Yes, in that case you don't need to specify a WAL device, it will be automatically placed on the DB device.

[3] https://docs.ceph.com/docs/octopus/install/index_manual/#deploy-a-cluster-manually

Zitat von Will Payne <will@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

If you want to specify vgname/lvname you have to create them manually and run:

ceph-volume lvm create --data /dev/sdc --block.db vgname/db-sdc --block.wal vgname/wal-sdc

Apt helpfully told me I need to install ceph-osd, which I did. The ceph-volume command then told me :

Running command: /usr/bin/ceph-authtool --gen-print-key
Running command: /usr/bin/ceph --cluster ceph --name client.bootstrap-osd --keyring /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring -i - osd new ...
stderr: [errno 13] RADOS permission denied (error connecting to the cluster)
-->  RuntimeError: Unable to create a new OSD id

I note the keyring file doesn’t exist - is this something I need to create or should exist already? Or will it be created by this command?

ceph-volume lvm batch /dev/sdb ... /dev/sdj --db-devices /dev/sdk --wal-devices /dev/sdl but then you don't get to choose vgname/lvname, the batch command creates the volume groups and logical volumes for you.

I’m not too fussed about the vg/lv names if they’re created for me. Can the db and Wal devices be the same device?

I would say the drive_groups approach is designed to automate things so you don't need to worry about creating VGs and LVs.

Again, can WAL and DB be pointed at the same SSD?

Sorry if I’m being stupid, the documentation just seems a little lacking.

Will