Re: nfs migrate to rgw

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 1:52 PM Zhenshi Zhou <deaderzzs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 50KB, and much video files around 30MB. The amount of the files is more
> than
> 1 million. Maybe I can find a way to seperate the files in more buckets so
> that
> there is no more than 1M objects in each bucket. But how about the small
> files
> around 50KB. Does rgw serve well on small files?

1 million files is usually the point where you first need to start thinking
about some optimizations, but that's mostly just making sure that the index
is on SSD and it'll happily work up to ~10 million files.
Then you might need to start thinking about the index being on *good* SSDs
(and/or on many SSDs/DB devices).

It starts the get interesting if you need to go beyond 100 million files,
that's the point where you need to start tuning shard sizes and the types
of index queries that you send...

I've found that a few hundred million objects per bucket are no problem if
you run with large shard sizes (500k - 1 million); however, there are some
index-queries that can be really expensive like filtering on prefixes in
some pathological cases...

Small files: sure, works well, but can be challenging for erasure coding on
HDDs, but that's unrelated to rgw/you'd have the same problem with CephFS

Paul

--
Paul Emmerich

Looking for help with your Ceph cluster? Contact us at https://croit.io