Re: Cluster network and public network

>  I think, however, that a disappearing back network has no real consequences as the heartbeats always go over both.

FWIW this has not been my experience, at least through Luminous.

What I’ve seen is that when the cluster/replication net is configured but unavailable, OSD heartbeats fail and peers report them to the mons as down.  The mons send out a map accordingly, and the affected OSDs report “I’m not dead yet!”.  Flap flap flap.

YMMV