Re: Zeroing out rbd image or volume

I would also like to add that the OSDs can (and will) use redirect on write
techniques (not to mention the physical device hardware as well).
Therefore, your zeroing of the device might just cause the OSDs to allocate
new extents of zeros while the old extents remain intact (albeit
unreferenced and available for future writes). The correct solution would
be to layer LUKS/dm-crypt on top of the RBD device if you need a strong
security guarantee about a specific image, or use encrypted OSDs if the
concern is about the loss of the OSD physical device.

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 6:58 AM Marc Roos <M.Roos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> dd if=/dev/zero of=rbd ???? :) but if you have encrypted osd's, what
> would be the use of this?

Jason