Re: Upgrade Luminous to Nautilus on a Debian system

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 11:54 AM Herve Ballans <herve.ballans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning to upgrade one on my Ceph Cluster currently on Luminous
> 12.2.13 / Debian Stretch (updated).
> On this cluster, Luminous is packaged from the official Ceph repo (deb
> https://download.ceph.com/debian-luminous/ stretch main)
>
> I would like to upgrade it with Debian Buster and Nautilus using the
> croit.io repository (deb https://mirror.croit.io/debian-nautilus/ buster
> main)
>
> I already prepared the steps procedure but I just want to verify one
> step regarding the upgrade of the ceph packages.
>
> Do I have to upgrade ceph in the same time than Debian or do i have to
> upgrade ceph after the Debian upgrade from Stretch to Buster ?
>
> 1) In the first case :
>
>   * Replace stretch by buster in /etc/apt/sources.list
>   * Modify the ceph.list repo by croit.io one
>   * Upgrade the entire nodes
>
> 2) In the second case (upgrade Debian then Ceph)
>
>   * Replace stretch by buster in /etc/apt/sources.list
>   * keep the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ceph.list as it is
>   * Upgrade and reboot the nodes
>   * replace the ceph.list file by croit.io
>   * upgrade the ceph packages
>   * restarting the Ceph services (in the right order MON -> MGR -> OSD
>     -> MDS)
>
> Thanks a lot for your advices
>
> Regards,
> Hervé

Hi Hervé,

The one thing I had trouble with (and it's primarily from not reading the
docs very carefully) is that you should NOT enable the messenger 2 protocol
until all OSDs have been updated.  In other words, Ceph will complain about
not running msgr2, but you should leave it like that until all OSDs are on
Nautilus.  Then you run:

ceph mon enable-msgr2
ceph osd require-osd-release nautilus

Ref: https://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/releases/nautilus/