Re: Ceph and Windows - experiences or suggestions

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 10:04 AM Lars Täuber <taeuber@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't have samba experiences. Isn't the installation and administration of a samba server just for one "share" overkill?

Check out our software, you can deploy a pair of highly available
Samba servers with just a few clicks:
https://croit.io/croit-virtual-demo

>From experience: I've used Windows + Ceph with both Samba and iSCSI
for backup systems. iSCSI has a few restrictions related to persistent
group reservations which can be a problem (but not an issue for backup
setups, usually), Samba is more compatible.

If you have experience with neither iSCSI nor Samba and you only need
a simple setup, then go for Samba. It's easier to configure for simple
setups and you'll find lots of example that work out-of-the box.

The minimum example is just mounting CephFS somewhere and re-exporting
it with Samba and not setting up Samba clustering. That's super easy.
If you need high availability or the Ceph VFS then the initial config
can be somewhat tricky (iSCSI HA is easier)

Paul

--
Paul Emmerich

Looking for help with your Ceph cluster? Contact us at https://croit.io