Re: recovering monitor failure

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 1:38 PM Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 1/30/20 1:34 PM, vishal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Iam testing failure scenarios for my cluster. I have 3 monitors. Lets say if mons 1 and 2 go down and so monitors can't form a quorum, how can I recover?
> >
> > Are the instructions at followling link valid for deleting mons 1 and 2 from monmap, https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_ceph_storage/1.2.3/html/red_hat_ceph_administration_guide/remove_a_monitor#removing-monitors-from-an-unhealthy-cluster
> >
> > One more question - lets say I delete mons 1 and 2 from monmap. And the cluster has only mon 3 remaining so mon 3 has quorum. Now what happens if mon 1 and 2 come up? Do they join mon 3 and so there will again be 3 monitors in the cluster?
> >

> The epoch of the monmap has increased by removing mons 1 and 2 from the
> map. Only mon 3 has this new map with the new epoch.
>
> Therefor, if mon 1 and 2 boot they see the epoch of mon 3 is newer and
> thus won't be able to join.

If you delete the monitors from the map using ceph commands, so that
they KNOW they've been removed, this is fine. But you don't want to do
that to a cluster using offline tools: if monitor 3 dies before mons 1
and 2 turn on, they will find each other, not see another peer, and
say "hey, we are 2 of the 3 monitors in the map, let's form a quorum!"
-Greg