Re: backfill / recover logic (OSD included as selection criterion)

On 1/19/20 12:07 PM, Stefan Kooman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any logic / filtering which PGs to backfill at any given time
> that takes into account the OSD the PG is living on?
>
> Our cluster is backfilling a complete pool now (512 PGs) and (currently)
> of the 7 active+remapped+backfilling there are 4 of them on the same
> OSD. Which stresses this OSD way more than needed. It would be nice if
> the selection criteria for which PG to backfill (and / or recover) from
> would include the OSD as selection criterion in order to spread the load
> across different OSDs.

Afaik the OSDs decide this themselves. The primary OSD of a PG will
negotiate with other OSDs to determine if they can backfill or not.

If you set max_backfills to 4 the OSDs will try to use this as much as
possible.

The MONs do not decide which OSD starts to backfill and which don't.

Wido