Re: low io with enterprise SSDs ceph luminous - can we expect more? [klartext]

We are using Micron 5200 PRO, 1.92TB for RBD images on KVM and are very happy with the performance. We are using EC 6+2 pools, which really eat up IOPs. Still, we get enough performance out to run 20-50 VMs per disk, which results in good space utilisation as well since our default image size is 50GB and we take rolling snapshots. I was thinking about 4TB disks also, but am concerned that their IOPs/TB performance is too low for images on EC pools.

We found the raw throughput in fio benchmarks to be very different for write-cache enabled and disabled, exactly as explained in the performance article. Changing write cache settings is a boot-time operation. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a reliable way to disable write cache at boot time (I was looking for tuned configs) and ended up adding this to a container startup script:

  if [[ "$1" == "osd_ceph_disk_activate" && -n "${OSD_DEVICE}" ]] ; then
    echo "Disabling write cache on ${OSD_DEVICE}"
    /usr/sbin/smartctl -s wcache=off "${OSD_DEVICE}"
  fi

This works for both, SAS and SATA drives and ensures that write cache is disabled before an OSD daemon starts.

Best regards,

Frank Schilder
AIT Risø Campus
Bygning 109, rum S14