Re: ceph-volume sizing osds

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 11:49:50PM +0100, Oscar Segarra wrote:
>   Hi,
>   I have recently started working with Ceph Nautilus release and I have
>   realized that you have to start working with LVM to create OSD instead
>   of the "old fashioned" ceph-disk.
>   In terms of performance and best practices, as far as I must use LVM I
>   can create volume groups that joins or extends two or more physical
>   disks. In this scenario (many disks for server) where ceph-volume is
>   manatory, It still remains the rule of one OSD for each physical
>   device? or I can reduce the number of OSDs?

That is hard to answer generically. ceph-volume will not create multi-disk
volumes. One disk, one OSD is still the recommendation afaik.
However there are certainly scenarios where multi-disk OSDs are sensible. For
example if you have a machine that has _a lot_ of disks attached but lacks CPU
and RAM to run as many OSDs as disks, it can make sense to deploy one OSD on
multiple disks.