Re: Ceph on CentOS 8?

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019, Manuel Lausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am interested in el8 Packages as well.
> Is there any plan to provide el8 packages in the near future?

Ceph Octopus will be based on CentOS 8.  It's due out in March.

The centos8 transition is awkward because our python 2 dependencies don't
exist on in centos8, and it is a huge amount of effort to produce them.
Octopus switches to python 3, but those dependencies cannot be produces
for centos7.  So the nautilus->octopus upgrade will be either involve a
transition to the new containerized deployment (either cephadm or
ceph-ansible's container mode) or a simultaneous upgrade of the OS and
Ceph.

sage