Re: Building a petabyte cluster from scratch

If k=8,m=3 is too slow on HDDs, so you need replica 3 and SSD DB/WAL,
vs EC 8,3 on SSD, then that's (1/3) / (8/11) = 0.45 multiplier on the
SSD space required vs HDDs.
That brings it from 6x to 2.7x. Then you have the benefit of not
needing separate SSDs for DB/WAL both in hardware cost and complexity.
SSDs will still be more expensive; but perhaps justifiable given the
performance, rebuild times, etc.

If you only need cold-storage, then EC 8,3 on HDDs will be cheap. But
is that fast enough?