Re: RBD Mirror DR Testing

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 8:29 AM Vikas Rana <vrana@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> We have a 200TB RBD image which we are replicating using RBD mirroring.
>
> We want to test the DR copy and make sure that we have a consistent copy in case primary site is lost.
>

> We did it previously and promoted the DR copy which broken the DR copy from primary and we have to resync the whole 200TB data.
>

> Is there any correct way of doing it so we don’t have to resync all 200TB again?

Yes, create a snapshot on the primary site and let it propagate to the
non-primary site. Then you can compare checksums at the snapshot w/o
having to worry about the data changing. Once you have finished,
delete the snapshot on the primary site and it will propagate over to
the non-primary site.

> Can we demote current primary and then promote the DR copy and test and then revert back? Will that require the complete 200TB sync?

It's only the forced-promotion that causes split-brain. If you
gracefully demote from site A and promote site B, and then demote site
B and promote site A, that will not require a sync. However, again,
it's probably just easier to use a snapshot.

> Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
>

> Thanks,
>
> -Vikas

Jason