Re: RGW blocking on large objects

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 9:22 AM Casey Bodley <cbodley@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> With respect to this issue, civetweb and beast should behave the same.
> Both frontends have a large thread pool, and their calls to
> process_request() run synchronously (including blocking on rados
> requests) on a frontend thread. So once there are more concurrent client
> connections than there are frontend threads, new connections will block
> until there's a thread available to service them.

Okay, this really helps me understand what's going on here. Is there
plans to remove the synchronous calls and make them async or improve
this flow a bit?

Currently I'm seeing 1024 max concurrent ops and 512 thread pool. Does
this mean that on an equally distributed requests that one op could be
processing on the backend RADOS with another queued behind it waiting?
Is this done in round robin fashion so for 99% small io, a very long
RADOS request can get many IO blocked behind it because it is being
round-robin dispatched to the thread pool? (I assume the latter is
what I'm seeing).

rgw_max_concurrent_requests                                1024
rgw_thread_pool_size                                       512

If I match the two, do you think it would help prevent small IO from
being blocked by larger IO?

I'm also happy to look into the code to suggest improvements if you
can give me some quick points into the code to start will help.