Re: Dealing with changing EC Rules with drive classifications

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 9:51 PM Robert LeBlanc <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 12:15 PM Jeremi Avenant <jeremi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the reply Robert.
>>
>> Version: 12.2.12 Luminous, using ceph-ansible containerised.
>>
>> I was told that we're using a pre-luminous CRUSH format. I don't know if you can "migrate" or upgrade it to a Luminous based one?
>

> Only thing I can think that means is no upmap support, but you don't need upmap. As long as you have the CLASS column, you can do the device classes.

problem here is that you usually had separate crush hierarchies for
SSD and HDD and you might want to move them into one hierarchy and
change crush rules to use device classes

You can use crushtool --reclassify for the migration (or you can fixup
the ids in crush manually; device classes are internally just
different trees anyways, so you just have to use the IDs from your old
trees for the new device classes to avoid data movement)

Paul