Re: CephFS and 32-bit Inode Numbers

Once upon a time ceph-fuse did its own internal hash-map of live
inodes to handle that (by just remembering which 64-bit inode any
32-bit one actually referred to).

Unfortunately I believe this has been ripped out because it caused
problems when the kernel tried to do lookups on 32-bit inodes that
were so old they'd been recycled or dropped out of the mapping table.

It's conceivable the kernel can implement this more safely and I'd
certainly defer to Zheng or somebody as this is just out of my head
and from prepping the source tree to see what still exists, but I
would not expect it to be a safe long-term solution.
-Greg