Re: Unexpected increase in the memory usage of OSDs

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 10:58 AM Vladimir Brik <vladimir.brik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Best I can tell, automatic cache sizing is enabled and all related
settings are at their default values.

Looking through cache tunables, I came across
osd_memory_expected_fragmentation, which the docs define as "estimate
the percent of memory fragmentation". What's the formula to compute
actual percentage of memory fragmentation?

Based on /proc/buddyinfo, I suspect that our memory fragmentation is a
lot worse than osd_memory_expected_fragmentation default of 0.15. Could
this be related to many OSDs' RSSes far exceeding osd_memory_target?

So far high memory consumption hasn't been a problem for us. (I guess
it's possible that the kernel simply sees no need to reclaim unmapped
memory until there is actually real memory pressure?)

Oh well that you can check on the admin socket using the “heap” family of commands. It’ll tell you how much the daemon is actually using out of what’s allocated, and IIRC what it’s given back to the OS but maybe hasn’t actually been reclaimed.

It's just a little
scary not understanding why this started happening when memory usage had
been so stable before.

Thanks,

Vlad