Re: Using same name for rgw / beast web front end

Hi Eric,

boost::beast is a low-level c++ http protocol library that's hosted at https://github.com/boostorg/beast. Radosgw uses this library, along with boost::asio, as the basis for its 'beast frontend'. The motivation behind this frontend is its flexible threading model and support for asynchronous networking. The civetweb server's thread-per-connection model has been a major limitation for scalability. With ongoing work to extend the asynchrony of the beast frontend into radosgw's request processing, it'll be able to handle more concurrent requests with fewer thread/memory resources than civetweb.

In nautilus though, the beast frontend still has this thread-per-connection limitation, and its performance is comparable to civetweb's. I expect we'll make more noise about it once we're further along with the async refactoring and start to show the real wins. I hope that helps to clarify the situation!

Casey