Re: ceph-volume lvm create leaves half-built OSDs lying around

Den ons 11 sep. 2019 kl 12:18 skrev Matthew Vernon <mv3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
We keep finding part-made OSDs (they appear not attached to any host,
and down and out; but still counting towards the number of OSDs); we
never saw this with ceph-disk. On investigation, this is because
ceph-volume lvm create makes the OSD (ID and auth at least) too early in
the process and is then unable to roll-back cleanly (because the
bootstrap-osd credential isn't allowed to remove OSDs).

---8<----

This is annoying to have to clear up, and it seems to me could be
avoided by either:

i) ceph-volume should (attempt to) set up the LVM volumes &c before
making the new OSD id
or
ii) allow the bootstrap-osd credential to purge OSDs

i) seems like clearly the better answer...?

This happens to me too at times. Even a simple
iii)  "Run 'ceph osd purge XYZ'
printout for my cut-n-paste-convenience would be an improvement over the current situation, though it might be better having some kind of state that tells the cluster if an OSD has run for even the slightest of time, and if not - allow the bootstrap-osd key to delete a never-really-seen OSD id from all relevant places it might appear in when the disk setup fails you.