Re: FileStore OSD, journal direct symlinked, permission troubles.

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 05:02:11PM +0200, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> Riprendo quanto scritto nel suo messaggio del 29/08/2019...
>
> > Another possibilty is to convert the MBR to GPT (sgdisk --mbrtogpt) and
> > give the partition its UID (also sgdisk). Then it could be linked by
> > its uuid.
> and, in another email:
> > And I forgot that you can also re-create the journal by itself. I can't
> > recall the command ATM though.
>
> Ahem, i stated the jornal disk are also the OS disks, and i'm using old
> server, so i think that converting to GPT will lead to an unbootable
> node...
>

> But, the 'code' that identify (and change permission) for journal dev
> are PVE specific? or Ceph generic? I suppose the latter...
IIRC, in Jewel, Ceph went from running services as root to its own user
'ceph'. The permissions had to be changed once, during upgrade. And then
udev takes care of it by checking the GUID [0].

 :~# ls /lib/udev/rules.d/60-ceph-by-parttypeuuid.rules
 :~# ls /lib/udev/rules.d/95-ceph-osd.rules

Udev takes care of the correct device node owner. Changing these to
work with the msdos partition scheme will not be very practical. Alone
that you have to adapt the rule with each Ceph update.

> Also, i've done:
>         adduser ceph disk
> and partition devices are '660 root:disk': why still i get 'permission
> denied'?
User and group is ceph on my PVE 5.x and later installs. The user &
group should have been created during upgrade. And as said above udev
should take care of it for the device node.

As it is possible to re-create the journal for an OSD, you may consider
to add an extra SSD to create the journals there. Then you can free up
the OS disks of that burden and have a GPT partition table with the
proper GUID. Less risky, then my approach below.

I tested an conversion from MBR to GPT on the boot disk in a VM. To make
it work, I had to run the following.

  ## Caution: If it fails the system will be not booting

  # converts to GPT
  sgdisk -g /dev/sdX

  # the conversion left 1MB space
  # create a new partition with type ef02 on the boot disk uses the 1MB
  gdisk /dev/sda

  # install grub, if the disk doesn't contain a bios boot partition
  # (ef02) it will not install
  grub-install /dev/sda

After the conversion it should be no problem to got through the
permission fix on our upgrade guide [0] to get the journals recognised
by Ceph.

Well, I hope this helps.

--
Cheers,