Re: Ceph + SAMBA (vfs_ceph)

Your windows client is failing to authenticate when it tries to mount the share.  That could be a simple fix or hideously complicated depending on what type of Windows network you are running in.  Is this lab environment using a Windows server running as an Active Directory Domain controller or have you just been working with standalone installs of Linux and Windows in your lab?  Are your windows installs simply based on a retail version of Windows Home or do you have the Pro or Enterprise versions licensed?

If you are stuck with a Home only version or simply want to do ad-hoc stuff without much futher ado (probably why you have SECURITY=USER stanza in your conf) then just look at using smbpasswd to create the password hashes necessary for SMB mounting.  This is necessary because Windows and Unix/Linux have different hashing schemes.   This samba wiki link will probably be a good starting point for you.

If you are an Active Directory network, you will end up mucking around in a lot more config files in order to get your Linux boxes to join the Directory as members and then authenticate against the domain controllers.  That can also be a somewhat simple thing, but it can get hairy if your organization has infosec in mind and has hardening procedures that they applied.  That's when you might be breaking out Wireshark and analyzing the exchanges between Linux and the dc to figure out what sort of insanity is going on in your IT department.  If you aren't the domain admin or aren't good friends with one who also knows Unix/Linux you may never get anywhere.

Bill Sharer