Re: Should I use "rgw s3 auth order = local, external"

Christian <syphdias+ceph@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I found this (rgw s3 auth order = local, external) on the web:
> https://opendev.org/openstack/charm-ceph-radosgw/commit/3e54b570b1124354704bd5c35c93dce6d260a479
>
> Which is seemingly exactly what I need for circumventing higher
> latency when switching on keystone authentication. In fact it even
> improves performance slightly without enabling keystone authentication
> which strikes me as odd. Which leads me to the conclusion that this is
> disabling some mechanism that usually takes time.

By default rgw tries external authentication engines first before
attempting locally, in case rgw s3 auth use keystone is enabled, then
keystone is attempted first, which would be the right behaviour if you
don't want users created via rgw-admin to shadow the actual users in
keystone. Changing the order first tries to find the user locally which
reduces that roundtrip to keystone.

In the case when you disabled keystone was rgw keystone url empty?

> I could not find any official documentation for this option.
> Does anyone have any experience with this?
>
> Regards,
> Christian
>
> PS: Sorry for the resend, I used the wrong sending address.

Abhishek Lekshmanan
HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)