From: Stuart Longland [mailto:stuartl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: vrijdag 19 juli 2019 12:22
To: ceph-users
Subject:  Future of Filestore?

Hi all,

Earlier this year, I did a migration from Ceph 10 to 12.  Previously, I
was happily running Ceph v10 on Filestore with BTRFS, and getting
reasonable performance.

Moving to Ceph v12 necessitated a migration away from this set-up, and
reading the documentation, Bluestore seemed to be "the way", so a hasty
migration was performed and now my then 3-node cluster moved to
Bluestore.  I've since added two new nodes to that cluster and replaced
the disks in all systems, so I have 5 WD20SPZX-00Us storing my data.

I'm now getting about 5MB/sec I/O speeds in my VMs.

I'm contemplating whether I migrate back to using Filestore (on XFS this
time, since BTRFS appears to be a rude word despite Ceph v10 docs
suggesting it as a good option), but I'm not sure what the road map is
for supporting Filestore long-term.

Is Filestore likely to have long term support for the next few years or
should I persevere with tuning Bluestore to get something that won't be
outperformed by an early 90s PIO mode 0 IDE HDD?
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.