Re: Changing the release cadence

Hey,

On 15.07.19 09:58, Kaleb Keithley wrote:
> Speaking as (one of) the Ceph packager(s) in Fedora:

Arch Linux packager for Ceph here o/

> If Octopus is really an LTS release like all the others, and you want
> bleeding edge users to test/use it and give early feedback, then Fedora is
> probably one of the better places to get that feedback.
>
> FWIW, In the absence of a ceph-14.0.z.tar.gz from
> http://download.ceph.com/tarballs/ branto came up with one (possibly from
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/releases/...???)  but I haven't had any luck
> building ceph-15 with the tarball from there.

I've been watching the RSS feed of the GitHub releases and use the
GitHub release tarballs for building it.

Due to unforseen complications and lack of time (similar situation
like you) the last packaged version of ceph in the Arch Linux repos is
13.2.1 right now.
Over the last couple of weeks I have spent numerous hours and worked
with people in oftc.#ceph-devel to work on the issues I was
experiencing while building it.
Right now I'm finalizing the 14.2.1 build and have some last kinks to
work out, for some reason the zstd compression tests are failing for
me, gonna look into that over the coming days.

Seeing that Arch Linux and Fedora should have a few more things common
then, let's say Ubuntu or Debian, I would like to offer my help
however I can. I'm not that familiar with building packages on/for
Fedora but I've had my fair share of debugging building ceph with
bleeding edge components (gcc, cmake, boost, python) and could
possibly help out there.

Feel free to get in touch, maybe we can help each other out.

Cheers,
Thore

PS: I was thinking about maybe getting Arch Linux (and Fedora)
onboarded to the ceph-dev-build matrix on jenkins.ceph.com.
Thinking about the possibility to spot arising issues and/or
incompatibilities with upstream / bleeding edge compilers, helpers and
dependencies that should have common intereset with Ceph upstream.
Although I haven't talked to anyone upstream about this and am just
throwing it out here.

--
Thore Bödecker

GPG ID: 0xD622431AF8DB80F3
GPG FP: 0F96 559D 3556 24FC 2226  A864 D622 431A F8DB 80F3