Re: Changing the release cadence

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019, Kaleb Keithley wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 11:58 AM Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > This has mostly worked out well, except that the mimic release received
> > less attention that we wanted due to the fact that multiple downstream
> > Ceph products (from Red Has and SUSE) decided to based their next release
> > on nautilus.  Even though upstream every release is an "LTS" release, as a
> > practical matter mimic got less attention than luminous or nautilus.
> >

> Speaking as (one of) the Ceph packager(s) in Fedora:
>
> 1) I have been told (don't recall by who now) that odd numbered releases
> are experimental or short term support or red haired step child releases.

In principle that hasn't been the case since 12.2.z (luminous).  13 has
gotten somewhat less backport attention because the people doing backports
work for Red Hat and SUSE and neither shipped a product based on 13.

> 2) even though there have been ceph-{10,11,12}.0.z tarballs on
> http://download.ceph.com/tarballs/ in the past, there still isn't a
> ceph-15.0.0.tar.gz there. And I was told that there wouldn't be one. Yes,
> I'm aware that X.0.z are alpha releases, X.1.z are beta releases, and X.2.z
> are GA releases.

In the past we haven't published tarballs until x.1.z (rc), since the dev
checkpoints are not meant to be used by anyone other than developers.
(They're really just a 'pause and make sure the qa suites are nice and
clean', nothing more.)

> 3) ceph-13 was skipped over in Fedora because I could never get it to build
> in Fedora in the limited time I make to do upstream packaging of Ceph and
> other things (because it's not my $dayjob.) And there seemed to be no
> interest on the part of anyone in the Ceph devel community to fix it
> (because see #1?)
>
> If Octopus is really an LTS release like all the others, and you want
> bleeding edge users to test/use it and give early feedback, then Fedora is
> probably one of the better places to get that feedback.

I think the first release worth testing outside of the dev community is
the release candidate.  I don't like the idea of having any distro carry
an untested dev checkpoint or else someone will lose data... even the rc
should be tested cautiously and, since it is only relevant for a week or
two, I'm not sure that distros can play much of a role there?

sage