Re: Ceph Upgrades - sanity check - MDS steps

Quoting James Wilkins (james.wilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx):
> Hi all,
>
> Just want to (double) check something – we’re in the process of
> luminous -> mimic upgrades for all of our clusters – particularly this
> section regarding MDS steps
>
> 	•  Confirm that only one MDS is online and is rank 0 for your FS: #
> 	ceph status •  Upgrade the last remaining MDS daemon by installing
> 	the new packages and restarting the daemon:
>
> Namely – is it required to upgrade the live single MDS in place (and
> thus have downtime whilst the MDS restarts – on our first cluster was
> typically 10 minutes of downtime ) – or can we upgrade the
> standby-replays/standbys first and flip once they are back?

You should upgrade in place (the last remaining MDS) and yes that causes
a bit of downtime. In our case it takes ~ 5s. Make sure to _only_
upgrade the ceph packages (no apt upgrade of whole system) as apt will
happily disable services, start updating initramfs ... for all installed
kernels, etc. Doing the full upgrade and reboot can be done later. This
is how we do it:

On (Active) Standby:

mds2: systemctl stop ceph-mds.target

On Active:

apt update
apt policy ceph-base <- check that the version that is available is
indeed the version you want to upgrade to!
apt install ceph-base ceph-common ceph-fuse ceph-mds ceph-mds-dbg
libcephfs2 python-cephfs

If mds doesn't get restarted with the upgrade, do it manually:

systemctl restart ceph-mds.target

^^ a bit of downtime

ceph daemon mds.$id version <- to make sure you are running the upgraded
version

(or run ceph versions to check)

On Standby:

apt install ceph-base ceph-common ceph-fuse ceph-mds ceph-mds-dbg
libcephfs2 python-cephfs

systemctl restart ceph-mds.target

ceph daemon mds.$id version <- to make sure you are running the upgraded
version

On Active:

apt upgrade && reboot

(Standby becomes active)

wait for HEALTH_OK

On (now) Active (previously standby):
apt upgrade && reboot

If you follow this procedure you end up with the same active and standby
as before the upgrades, both up to date with as little downtime as
possible.

That said ... I've accidentally updated a standby MDS to a newer version
than the Active one ... and this didn't cause any issues (12.2.8 ->
12.2.11) ... but I would not recommend it.

Gr. Stefan