Pool configuration for RGW on multi-site cluster

We have a two-site cluster with OSDs and pools localised in two locations. I was now looking into setting up a rados gateway with the following properties:

- Pools should be EC pools whenever possible.
- Pools for specific buckets should be localised at OSDs on only one of the two locations (meaning the crush root must *not* be "default").

Unfortunately, I seem to be unable to find documentation on how to configure pools used by RGW in such detail. It seems that the RGW daemon and radosgw-admin create pools on the fly, using some global settings that don't allow any a-priory fine-tuning of the type described above. I looked here:

- http://docs.ceph.com/docs/mimic/radosgw/placement/
- http://docs.ceph.com/docs/mimic/radosgw/pools/
- http://docs.ceph.com/docs/mimic/radosgw/multisite/

I would be most grateful about answers (or links) to the following questions:

- Which pools are used by RGW (where can I find a complete list)?
- Which of these pools must be replicated and which can be EC pools?
- Are there sizing guides and performance considerations (replication type, device class, best practices)?
- If creating all of these pools empty, with desired properties and prior to RGW startup, will the RGW daemon work properly?
- If some pools need to be created by the RGW daemon, how does one specify details like
  * crush root
  * EC profile / replication rule
  * device class
  * etc.

I would like to avoid any manual a-posteriori operations like editing crush rules to adjust locations of pools, etc.

Best regards,