From: Paul Emmerich <paul.emmerich@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: 21 May 2019 09:45
To: Frank Schilder
Cc: Florent B; ceph-users
Subject: Re:  Default min_size value for EC pools

No, there is no split brain problem even with size/mine_size 2/1. A PG will not go active if it doesn't have the latest data because all other OSDs that might have seen writes are currently offline.
That's what the history_ignore_les_bounds option effectively does: it tells ceph to take a PG active anyways in that situation.

That's why you end up with inactive PGs if you run 2/1 and a disk dies while OSDs flap. You  then have to set history_ignore_les_bounds if the dead disk is really unrecoverable, losing the latest modifcations to an object.
But Ceph will not compromise your data without you manually telling it to do so, it will just block IO instead.

Paul

--
Paul Emmerich

Looking for help with your Ceph cluster? Contact us at https://croit.io