Re: Custom Ceph-Volume Batch with Mixed Devices

Hi Alfredo,

Thank you for your answer, it is very helpful. Do you mean that --osds-per-device=3 is mistyped? It should be --osds-per-device=4 to create 4 OSDs as expected, right? I'm trying to not create it by specifying manually created LVM to have consistent ceph way of VG and LV naming.

By the way, is it possible to do this two ceph-volume batch command by using single ceph-ansible run or I should run twice with different configuration? If it is possible, what should I put on configuration file?

Best regards,

On Sat, May 11, 2019, 02:09 Alfredo Deza <adeza@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 2:43 PM Lazuardi Nasution
<mrxlazuardin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Let's say I have following devices on a host.
>
> /dev/sda
> /dev/sdb
> /dev/nvme0n1
>
> How can I do ceph-volume batch which create bluestore OSD on HDDs and NVME (devided to be 4 OSDs) and put block.db of HDDs on the NVME too? Following are what I'm expecting on created LVs.

You can, but it isn't easy (batch is meant to be opinionated) and what
you are proposing is a bit of an odd scenario that doesn't fit well
with what the batch command will want to do, which is: create OSDs
from a list
of devices and do the most optimal layout possible.

I would suggest strongly to just use `ceph-volume lvm create` with
pre-made LVs that you can pass into it to arrange things in the way
you need. However, you might still be able to force batch here by
defining
the block.db sizes in ceph.conf, otherwise ceph-volume falls back to
"as large as possible". Having defined a size (say, 10GB) you can do
this:

ceph-volume lvm batch /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/nvme0n1
ceph-volume lvm batch --osds-per-device=3 /dev/nvme0n1

Again, I highly recommend against this setup and trying to make batch
do this - not 100% it will work...