Re: Are there any statistics available on how most production ceph clusters are being used?

Double thanks for the on-topic reply. The other two repsonses, were
making
me doubt if my chinese (which I didn't study) is better than my english.

 >> I am a bit curious on how production ceph clusters are being used. I
am
 >> reading here that the block storage is used a lot with openstack and

 >> proxmox, and via iscsi with vmare.
 >Have you looked at the Ceph User Surveys/Census?
 >https://ceph.com/ceph-blog/ceph-user-survey-2018-results/
 >https://ceph.com/geen-categorie/results-from-the-ceph-census/

Sort of what I was looking for, so 42% use rgw, of which 74% s3.
I guess this main archive usage, is mostly done by providers

 >> But I since nobody here is interested in a better rgw client for end

 >> users. I am wondering if the rgw is even being used like this, and
what
 >> most production environments look like.
 >Your end-user client thread was specifically asking targeting GUI
 >clients on OSX & Windows. I feel that the GUI client usage of S3
 >protocol has a much higher visibility to data size ratio than
 >automation/tooling usage.
 >
 >As the quantity of data by a single user increases, the odds that GUI
 >tools are used for it decreases, as it's MUCH more likely to be driven
 >by automation & tooling around the API.

Hmm, interesting. I am having more soho clients. And was thinking of
getting them such gui client.

 >My earliest Ceph production deployment was mostly RGW (~16TB raw),
with
 >a little bit of RBD/iSCSI usage (~1TB of floating disk between VMs).
 >Very little of the RGW usage was GUI driven (there certainly was some,
 >because it made business sense to offer it rather than FTP sites; but
it
 >tiny compared to the automation flows).
 >
 >My second production deployment I worked was Dreamhost's DreamObjects,
 >which was over 3PB then: and MOST of the usage was still not
GUI-driven.

 >I'm working at DigitalOcean's Spaces offering now; again, mostly
non-GUI
 >access.
 >
 >For the second part of your original-query, I feel that any new
clients
 >SHOULD not be RGW-specific; they should be able to work on a wide
range
 >of services that expose the S3 API, and have a good test-suite around
 >that (s3-tests, but for testing the client implementation; even Boto
is
 >not bug-free).

I think if you take the perspective of some end user that associates s3,
with something like an audi and nothing else. It is quite necessary
to have a client that is easy and secure to use, where you just enter
 preferably only two things, your access key and your secret.

The advantage of having a more rgw specific gui client, is that you
- do not have the default amazon 'advertisements' (think of storage
classes etc.)
- less configuration options, everything ceph does not support we do not
  need to configure.
- no ftp, no what ever else, just this s3
- you do not have configuration options that ceph doesn't offer
  (eg. this life cycle, bucket access logging?)
  I can imagine if you have quite a few clients, you could get quite
some
  questions to answer, about things not working.
- you have better support for specific things like multi tenant account,
etc.
- for once the https urls are correctly advertised

Whether one likes it or not ceph is afaik not fully s3 compatible