Re: Are there any statistics available on how most production ceph clusters are being used?

> On Apr 19, 2019, at 10:59 AM, Janne Johansson <icepic.dz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> May the most significant bit of your life be positive.

Marc, my favorite thing about open source software is it has a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee: If you are not completely satisfied, you can have an instant refund, just for waving your arm! :D

Seriously though, Janne is right, for any OSS project. Think of it like a party where the some people go home “when it’s over” and some people stick around and help clean up. Using myself as an example, I’ve been asking questions about RGW multi-site, and now that I have a little more experience with it (not much more — it’s not working yet, just where I can see gaps in the documentation), I owe it to those that have helped me get here by filling those gaps in the docs.

That’s where I can start, and when I understand what’s going on with more authority, I can go into the source and create changes that alter how it works for others to review.

Note in both cases I am proposing concrete changes, which is far more effective than trying to describe situations that others may have never been in. Many can try to help, but if it is frustrating for them, they will lose interest. Good pull requests are never frustrating to understand, even if they need more work to handle cases others know about. It’s a more quantitative means of expression.

If that kind of commitment doesn’t sound appealing, buy support contracts. Pay back in to the community so that those with passion for the product can do exactly what I’ve described here. There’s no shame in that, but users like you and me need to be careful with the time of those who have put their lives into this, at least until we can put more into the party than we have taken out.

Hope that helps!  :B