Re: how to judge the results? - rados bench comparison

Wed, 17 Apr 2019 09:52:29 +0200
Stefan Kooman <stefan@xxxxxx> ==> Lars Täuber <taeuber@xxxxxxx> :
> Quoting Lars Täuber (taeuber@xxxxxxx):
> > > I'd probably only use the 25G network for both networks instead of
> > > using both. Splitting the network usually doesn't help.
> >
> > This is something i was told to do, because a reconstruction of failed
> > OSDs/disks would have a heavy impact on the backend network.
>
> Opinions vary on running "public" only versus "public" / "backend".
> Having a separate "backend" network might lead to difficult to debug
> issues when the "public" network is working fine, but the "backend" is
> having issues and OSDs can't peer with each other, while the clients can
> talk to all OSDs. You will get slow requests and OSDs marking each other
> down while they are still running etc.

This I was not aware of.

> In your case with only 6 spinners max per server there is no way you
> will every fill the network capacity of a 25 Gb/s network: 6 * 250 MB/s
> (for large spinners) should be just enough to fill a 10 Gb/s link. A
> redundant 25 Gb/s link would provide 50 Gb/s of bandwith, enough for
> both OSD replication traffic and client IO.

The reason for the choice for the 25GBit network was because a remark of someone, that the latency in this ethernet is way below that of 10GBit. I never double checked this.

> My 2 cents,
>
> Gr. Stefan

Cheers,
Lars