Host-local sub-pool?

Hello all

I have a 'would be nice' use case need I'm wondering if ceph can handle.  The goal is to allow an otherwise ordinary ceph server with a little 'one-of' special purpose extra hardware that could provide at least some value when off-host networking is down to do so while still taking advantage of the locally ample ceph replication capability.   Then when connectivity is restored to participate as a 'normal' host in the larger setup.  Is this doable?

Here's a little more setup detail but tl;dr you get the idea.

Suppose a typical ceph multi-server, multi-osd/server setup. One particular otherwise typical server that has osd's running on the bare metal os and is also one of a few with a ceph mon and mds running in a VM.  But, that one server is 'special' in that it has some task-specific hardware that a dedicated-purpose VM running on it uses, a task that has no need to reference off-host data for any reason.

Like the other servers, there are several osds (1/drive) running on that special server.  So within that host there's plenty of room for host-local replication, though the server be part of a multi-host setup.

Suppose owing to some mishap all the networking cables were disconnected from that special server.    Is there a ceph configuration allowing the task-specific VM to operate based on a ceph block device relying only on host-local osds -- without regard to off-host connectivity?  Yet providing normal host ceph participation when networking is normal?

I'd like to avoid adding some added non-ceph mirroring scheme for the special-purpose VM's block device and I'd like to avoid having to maintain yet another box for a small task.

Ideas appreciated!

Thanks

Harry Coin