Re: RBD image format v1 EOL ...

	Hello,

Jason Dillaman wrote:
: For the future Ceph Octopus release, I would like to remove all
: remaining support for RBD image format v1 images baring any
: substantial pushback.
:
: The image format for new images has been defaulted to the v2 image
: format since Infernalis, the v1 format was officially deprecated in
: Jewel, and creation of new v1 images was prohibited starting with
: Mimic.
:
: The forthcoming Nautilus release will add a new image migration
: feature to help provide a low-impact conversion path forward for any
: legacy images in a cluster. The ability to migrate existing images off
: the v1 image format was the last known pain point that was highlighted
: the previous time I suggested removing support.
:
: Please let me know if anyone has any major objections or concerns.

	If I read the parallel thread about pool migration in ceph-users@
correctly, the ability to migrate to v2 would still require to stop the client
before the "rbd migration prepare" can be executed.

	On my OpenNebula/Ceph cluster, I still have bigger tens of images
in v1 format, so it would induce a moderate pain to figure out which VMs
are using them, how availability-critical they are, and finally to migrate
the images.

	But whatever, I guess I can cope with it :-)

-Yenya

--
| Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak <kas at {fi.muni.cz - work | yenya.net - private}> |
| http://www.fi.muni.cz/~kas/                         GPG: 4096R/A45477D5 |