Re: RBD image format v1 EOL ...

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 10:37 AM Jason Dillaman <jdillama@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For the future Ceph Octopus release, I would like to remove all
> remaining support for RBD image format v1 images baring any
> substantial pushback.
>
> The image format for new images has been defaulted to the v2 image
> format since Infernalis, the v1 format was officially deprecated in
> Jewel, and creation of new v1 images was prohibited starting with
> Mimic.
>
> The forthcoming Nautilus release will add a new image migration
> feature to help provide a low-impact conversion path forward for any
> legacy images in a cluster. The ability to migrate existing images off
> the v1 image format was the last known pain point that was highlighted
> the previous time I suggested removing support.

What is the image migration path? I think if we’re going to strip out
the ability to read data then the conversion process should be
automatic-on-access, if that’s possible...
(Also, it's generally good for things like that to provide more than
one release's worth of upgrade-overlap. Especially since we will
support going straight from Mimic to Octopus.)
-Greg