Re: Multicast communication compuverde

Multicast traffic from storage has a point in things like the old Windows provisioning software Ghost where you could netboot a room full och computers, have them listen to a mcast stream of the same data/image and all apply it at the same time, and perhaps re-sync potentially missing stuff at the end, which would be far less data overall than having each client ask the server(s) for the same image over and over.
In the case of ceph, I would say it was much less probable that many clients would ask for exactly same data in the same order, so it would just mean all clients hear all traffic (or at least more traffic than they asked for) and need to skip past a lot of it.