Re: Bluestore deploys to tmpfs?

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 3:08 PM Stuart Longland
<stuartl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> The tmpfs setup is expected. All persistent data for bluestore OSDs
> >> setup with LVM are stored in LVM metadata. The LVM/udev handler for
> >> bluestore volumes create these tmpfs filesystems on the fly and populate
> >> them with the information from the metadata.
> > That is mostly what happens. There isn't a dependency on UDEV anymore
> > (yay), but the reason why files are mounted on tmpfs
> > is because *bluestore* spits them out on activation, this makes the
> > path fully ephemeral (a great thing!)
> >
> > The step-by-step is documented in this summary section of  'activate'
> > http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/ceph-volume/lvm/activate/#summary
> >
> > Filestore doesn't have any of these capabilities and it is why it does
> > have an actual existing path (vs. tmpfs), and the files come from the
> > data partition that
> > gets mounted.
> >

> Well, for whatever reason, ceph-osd isn't calling the activate script
> before it starts up.

ceph-osd doesn't call the activate script. Systemd is the one that
calls ceph-volume to activate OSDs.

> It is worth noting that the systems I'm using do not use systemd out of
> simplicity.  I might need to write an init script to do that.  It wasn't
> clear last weekend what commands I needed to run to activate a BlueStore
> OSD.

If deployed with ceph-volume, you can just do:

    ceph-volume lvm activate --all

> For now though, sounds like tarring up the data directory, unmounting
> the tmpfs then unpacking the tar is a good-enough work-around.  That's
> what I've done for my second node (now I know of the problem) and so it
> should survive a reboot now.

There is no need to tar anything. Calling out to ceph-volume to
activate everything should just work.

> The only other two steps were to ensure `lvm` was marked to start at
> boot (so it would bring up all the volume groups) and that there was a
> UDEV rule in place to set the ownership on the LVM VGs for Ceph.

Right, you do need to ensure LVM is installed/enabled. But *for sure*
there is no need to UDEV rules to set any ownership for Ceph, this is
a task
that ceph-volume handles