Re: quick questions about a 5-node homelab setup

> On Jan 18, 2019, at 3:48 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> (Crossposting this from Reddit /r/ceph , since likely to have more technical audience present here).
>
> I've scrounged up 5 old Atom Supermicro nodes and would like to run them 365/7 for limited production as RBD with Bluestore (ideally latest 13.2.4 Mimic), triple copy redundancy. Underlying OS is a Debian 9 64 bit, minimal install.

The other thing to consider about a lab is “what do you want to learn?” If reliability isn’t an issue (ie you aren’t putting your family pictures on it), regardless of the cluster technology, you can often learn basics more quickly without the overhead of maintaining quorums and all that stuff on day one. So at risk of being a heretic, start small, for instance with single mon/manager and add more later.

Adding mons into a running cluster just as unique and valuable of an experience as maintaining perfect quorum. Knowing when, why and where to add resources is much harder if one builds out a monster cluster from the start. This is to say “if there are no bottlenecks to solve for, there is far less learning being required”. And when it comes to being proficient with such a critical piece of production infrastructure, you’ll want to have as many experiences with the system going sideways and bringing it back as you can.

Production heroes are measured by their uptime statistics, and when things get testy, the more cluster-foo you have (regardless of the cluster), the less risk you’ll have maintaining perfect stats.

$0.02…