recovering vs backfilling

Hi all,

I wanted to test Dan's upmap-remapped script for adding new osd's to a cluster. (Then letting the balancer gradually move pgs to the new OSD afterwards)

I've created a fresh (virtual) 12.2.10 4-node cluster with very small disks (16GB each). 2 OSD's per node.
Put ~20GB of data on the cluster.

Now when i set the norebalance flag and add a new OSD, 99% of pgs end up recovering or in recovery_wait. Only a few will be backfill_wait.

The recovery starts as expected (norebalance only stops backfilling pgs) and finished eventually

The upmap-remapped script only works with pgs which need to be backfilled. it does work for the handful of pgs in backfill_wait status but my question is:

When is ceph doing recovery in stead of backfilling? Only when the cluster is rather empty or what is the criteria? Are the OSD's too small?

Kind regards,
Caspar