Re: Huge latency spikes

Hi,

our dell servers contain "PERC H730P Mini" raid controllers with 2GB battery backed cache memory.
All of our ceph osd disks (typically 12 * 8GB spinners or  16 * 1-2 TBssds per node) are used directly without using the raid functionality.

We deactivated the cache of the controller for the osd disks completely for spinners and ssds in the lifecycle controller:

- writing: to prevent cache access contention (throughput of cache might create latency spikes because the disks do 90% write load)
- reading: ceph is used as storage system for virtualized systems (XEN with rbd-nbd)
  -> we already have several levels of caching which should prevent re-reading of data: pagecache of the virtualized systems, rbd cache of rbd-bd, bluestore cache on the osd

Do you see scenarios where it might be a good idea to activate the cache anyway?

Regards
Marc