Re: How many PGs per OSD is too many?

On 11/14/18 1:45 PM, Vladimir Brik wrote:
Hello

I have a ceph 13.2.2 cluster comprised of 5 hosts, each with 16 HDDs and 4 SSDs. HDD OSDs have about 50 PGs each, while SSD OSDs have about 400 PGs each (a lot more pools use SSDs than HDDs). Servers are fairly powerful: 48 HT cores, 192GB of RAM, and 2x25Gbps Ethernet.

The impression I got from the docs is that having more than 200 PGs per OSD is not a good thing, but justifications were vague (no concrete numbers), like increased peering time, increased resource consumption, and possibly decreased recovery performance. None of these appeared to be a significant problem in my testing, but the tests were very basic and done on a pretty empty cluster under minimal load, so I worry I'll run into trouble down the road.

Here are the questions I have:
- In practice, is it a big deal that some OSDs have ~400 PGs?
- In what situations would our cluster most likely fare significantly better if I went through the trouble of re-creating pools so that no OSD would have more than, say, ~100 PGs? - What performance metrics could I monitor to detect possible issues due to having too many PGs?

It's a fuzzy sort of thing.  During normal operation: With more PGs you'll store more pglog info in memory, so you'll have a more bloated OSD process.  If you use the new bluestore option for setting an osd memory target, that will mean less memory for caches.  It will also likely mean that there's a greater chance that pglog entries won't be invalidated before memtable flushes in rocksdb, so you might end up with higher write amp and slower DB performance as those entries get compacted into L0+.  That could matter with RGW or if you are doing lots of small 4k writes with RBD.

I'd see what Neha/Josh think about the impact on recovery, though I suppose one upside is that more PGs means you get a longer log based recovery window.  You could accomplish the same effect by increasing the number of pglog entries per pg (or keep the same overall number of entries by having more PGs and lower the number of entries per PG).  And upside to having more PGs is better data distribution quality, though we can now get much better distributions with the new balancer code, even with fewer PGs. One bad thing about having too few PGs is that you can have increased lock contention.  The balancer can make the data distribution better but you still can't shrink the number of PGs per pool too low.

The gist of it is that if you decide to look into this yourself you are probably going to find some contradictory evidence and trade-offs.  There are pitfalls if you go too high and pitfalls if you go too low.  I'm not sure we can easily define the exact PG counts/OSD where they happen since it's sort of dependent on how much memory you have, how fast your hardware is, whether you are using the balancer, and what your expectations are.

How's that for a non-answer? ;)

Mark

Thanks,

Vlad