From: Janne Johansson [mailto:icepic.dz@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: dinsdag 2 oktober 2018 15:44
To: jspray@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Marc Roos; Ceph Users
Subject: Re:  cephfs issue with moving files between data
pools gives Input/output error

Den mån 1 okt. 2018 kl 22:08 skrev John Spray <jspray@xxxxxxxxxx>:

	> totally new for me, also not what I would expect of a mv on a fs.
I know
	> this is normal to expect coping between pools, also from the
s3cmd
	> client. But I think more people will not expect this behaviour.
Can't
	> the move be implemented as a move?

	In almost all filesystems, a rename (like "mv") is a pure metadata
	operation -- it doesn't involve reading all the file's data and
	re-writing it.  It would be very surprising for most users if they
	found that their "mv" command blocked for a very long time while
	waiting for a large file's content to be e.g. read out of one pool
and
	written into another.

There are other networked filesystems which do behave like that, where
the OS thinks the whole mount is one single FS, but when you move stuff
with mv around it actually needs to move all data to other servers/disks
and incur the slowness of a copy/delete operation.