Re: cephfs issue with moving files between data pools gives Input/output error

Den mån 1 okt. 2018 kl 22:08 skrev John Spray <jspray@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> totally new for me, also not what I would expect of a mv on a fs. I know
> this is normal to expect coping between pools, also from the s3cmd
> client. But I think more people will not expect this behaviour. Can't
> the move be implemented as a move?

In almost all filesystems, a rename (like "mv") is a pure metadata
operation -- it doesn't involve reading all the file's data and
re-writing it.  It would be very surprising for most users if they
found that their "mv" command blocked for a very long time while
waiting for a large file's content to be e.g. read out of one pool and
written into another.

There are other networked filesystems which do behave like that, where
the OS thinks the whole mount is one single FS, but when you move stuff
with mv around it actually needs to move all data to other servers/disks and
incur the slowness of a copy/delete operation.