Re: Cannot write to cephfs if some osd's are not available on the client network

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 10:16 AM Marc Roos <M.Roos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a test cluster and on a osd node I put a vm. The vm is using a
> macvtap on the client network interface of the osd node. Making access
> to local osd's impossible.
>
> the vm of course reports that it cannot access the local osd's. What I
> am getting is:
>
> - I cannot reboot this vm normally, need to reset it.

When linux tries to shut down cleanly, part of that is flushing
buffers from any mounted filesystem back to disk.  If you have a
network filesystem mounted, and the network is unavailable, that can
cause the process to block.  You can try forcibly unmounting before
rebooting.

> - vm is reporting very high load.

The CPU load part is surprising -- in general Ceph clients should wait
quietly when blocked, rather than spinning.

> I guess this should not be happening not? Because it should choose an
> other available osd of the 3x replicated pool and just write the data to
> that one?

No -- writes always go through the primary OSD for the PG being
written to.  If an OSD goes down, then another OSD will become the
primary.  In your case, the primary OSD is not going down, it's just
being cut off from the client by the network, so the writes are
blocking indefinitely.

John