Re: network architecture questions

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018, 7:56 PM solarflow99 <solarflow99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
thanks for the replies, I don't know that cephFS clients go through the MONs, they reach the OSDs directly.  When I mentioned NFS, I meant NFS clients (ie. not cephFS clients) This should have been pretty straight forward.
Anyone doing HA on the MONs?  How do you mount the cephFS shares, surely you'd have a vip?

When you mount cephfs or an RBD (for your NFS case) you provide a list of monitors. They are, by nature, highly available. They do not rely in any sort of VIP failover like keepalived or pacemaker.

-Erik

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 12:37 PM Jean-Charles Lopez <jelopez@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sep 17, 2018, at 16:13, solarflow99 <solarflow99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi, I read through the various documentation and had a few questions:
>
> - From what I understand cephFS clients reach the OSDs directly, does the cluster network need to be opened up as a public network?
Client traffic only goes over the public network. Only OSD to OSD traffic (replication, rebalancing, recovery go over the cluster network)

> - Is it still necessary to have a public and cluster network when the using cephFS since the clients all reach the OSD's directly?
Separating the network is a plus for troubleshooting and sizing for bandwidth

> - Simplest way to do HA on the mons for providing NFS, etc?
Don’t really understand the question (NFS vs CephFS).