Re: SAN or DAS for Production ceph

James, you also use the words enterprise and production ready.
Is Redhat support important to you?

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 23:56, John Hearns <hearnsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
James, well for a start don't use a SAN. I speak as someone who managed a SAN with Brocade switches and multipathing for an F1 team. CEPH is Software Defined Storage. You want discreet storage servers with a high bandwidth Ethernet (or maybe Infiniband) fabric.

Fibrechannel still has it place here though if you want servers with FC attached JBODs.

Also you ask about the choice between spinning disks, SSDs and NVMe drives. Think about the COST for your petabyte archive.
True, these days you can argue that all SSD could be comparable to spinning disks. But NVMe? Yes you get the best performance.. but do you really want all that video data on $$$ NVMe? You need tiering.

Also dont forget low and slow archive tiers - shingled archive disks and perhaps tape.

Me, I would start from the building blocks of Supermicro 36 bay storage servers. Fill them with 12 Tbyte helium drives.
Two slots in the back for SSDs for your journaling.
For a higher performance tier, look at the 'double double' storage servers from Supermicro. Or even nicer the new 'ruler'form factor servers.
For a higher density archiving tier the 90 bay Supermicro servers.

Please get in touch with someone for advice. If you are in the UK I am happy to help and point you in the right direction.