SAN or DAS for Production ceph

Dear cephers,

I am new to the storage domain.
Trying to get my head around the enterprise - production-ready setup.

The following article helps a lot here: (Yahoo ceph implementation)
https://yahooeng.tumblr.com/tagged/object-storage

But a couple of questions:

What HDD would they have used here? NVMe / SATA /SAS etc (with just 52 storage node they got 3.2 PB of capacity !! )
I try to calculate a similar setup with HGST Ultrastar He12 (12TB and it's more recent ) and would need 86 HDDs that adds up to 1 PB only!!

How is the HDD drive attached is it DAS or a SAN (using Fibre Channel Switches, Host Bus Adapters etc)?

Do we need a proprietary hashing algorithm to implement multi-cluster based setup of ceph to contain CPU/Memory usage within the cluster when rebuilding happens during device failure?

If proprietary hashing algorithm is required to setup multi-cluster ceph using load balancer - then what could be the alternative setup we can deploy to address the same issue?

The aim is to design a similar architecture but with upgraded products and higher performance. - Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome

Thanks in advance