Re: how can time machine know difference between cephfs fuse and kernel client?

Hi All,
I think my problem was that I had quotas set at multiple levels of a subtree, and maybe some were conflicting. (E.g. Parent said quota=1GB, child said quota=200GB.) I could not reproduce the problem, but setting quotas only on the user's subdirectory and not elsewhere along the way to the root fixed the problem. :) I'm actually using the kernel cephfs for timemacine, plus a .plist file to tell Time Machine not to use too much space. There is an example here: https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/83vkaz/howto_make_time_machine_backups_on_a_samba/ For windows, I don't know of a way to give it a hint with a file, so I'm using cephfs quotas. As for AFP, there are a few reasons I decided not to use it. We already have an Samba setup with authentication. SMB time machine only works with macOS 10.12 and newer, so if there were time and we had more older clients netatalk would make sense also. Supposedly AFP is going away someday: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/285417/is-afp-slated-to-be-removed-from-future-versions-of-macos

Thanks for the responses!
Chad.