Re: how can time machine know difference between cephfs fuse and kernel client?

It's probably not that time machine or windows can tell which is which, but there are some features that the kernel driver does not support like quotas.  Perhaps the way quotas are managed and reported by the fuse client are responding with the 0 bytes free.  I'm not sure exactly.  I use the fuse client, but have never had a problem like this, but I only use it with Linux.