RBD image "lightweight snapshots"

Hello,

At OVH we're heavily utilizing snapshots for our backup system. We think there's an interesting optimization opportunity regarding snapshots I'd like to discuss here.

The idea is to introduce a concept of a "lightweight" snapshots - such snapshot would not contain data but only the information about what has changed on the image since it was created (so basically only the object map part of snapshots).

Our backup solution (which seems to be a pretty common practice) is as follows:

1. Create snapshot of the image we want to backup
2. If there's a previous backup snapshot, export diff and apply it on the backup image
3. If there's no older snapshot, just do a full backup of image

This introduces one big issue: it enforces COW snapshot on image, meaning that original image access latencies and consumed space increases. "Lightweight" snapshots would remove these inefficiencies - no COW performance and storage overhead.

At first glance, it seems like it could be implemented as extension to current RBD snapshot system, leaving out the machinery required for copy-on-write. In theory it could even co-exist with regular snapshots. Removal of these "lightweight" snapshots would be instant (or near instant).

So what do others think about this?

--
Piotr Dałek
piotr.dalek@xxxxxxxxxxxx